Moving is always a stressful time in a household. With so many things to clean, organize and pack, having a plan can be one of the most helpful things you do. This little list can go a long way in making your move so much easier.
1. Have a Master plan
Write down all of the steps for your move in a moving journal, or a Google Document. Who are your movers? What is your budget? How many boxes did you buy and what is going to go in them? Having all of this information in one easy, accessible place is key to your moving success.
Take a look at everything in your house. Everything. Is it something you really love? Is it something that you want to carefully wrap, pack, move, unbox, unwrap, and place back in your house? If you say no to any of of those steps, it can be something that you can leave behind. Toss it. Donate it to organizations. Give it to friends or family. There are a lot of different ways to scale down things you don't need.
3. Pack Smart
1. Make sure to buy enough packing tape, boxes, and padding for all of your items
2. Do not pack breakables and sharp or heavy items in the same box. I've seen people pack Pyrex bowls in the same boxes as +heavy, metal tea pots. It did not go well.
3. Make sure you pad all of your breakables well
4. Pack one room at a time. Label all boxes with either colored stickers, tape, or big
5. Make a packing inventory. What went in each box? What box goes in each room? This
inventory would be a good thing for the Master List.
4. Check Your Lists
Make sure you consult your lists often.
5. Think about help
Did you enlist family or friends to help? Did you hire professional movers? Either way, remember that moving isn't something you have to do on your own.